Thursday, March 5, 2015

God confirms His promise to Abram: Genesis 15:1 - 5

After Abram's faithful recognition of God's protection, he has a vision in which God says: "...I am your shield, your very great reward."  The footnotes in my NIV translation suggest an alternate translation, "I am your shield, your reward will be very great."  This makes more sense when we consider Abram's response in verse 2.

Notice there is an implicit pause at the end of verse 1.  God says, "...your reward will be very great," and nothing more.  God, through Abram's vision, initiates a conversation and pauses for Abram's response.

Abram responds by telling God about his situation - the part of God's promise not yet seen.  Abram, at nearly 86 years old (from chapter 16), wonders how God intends to fulfill the promise of numerous descendants.  How could God bless the world through him if he had no child?  How could God make Abram's name great without an heir to carry on his name?  How could a nation come from him when a small family seemed out of reach?

I'm a bit torn about Abram's response.  In one sense, it seems like he still has hope about the promise of descendants (otherwise, why bring it up at all).  In another, it seems like he is resigned to not having this promise answered.  I picture him hemming and hawing in a more modern context: "Hey God, um, thanks for all the blessing, and protection and all, but, well...  I mean, I don't want to seem ungrateful, 'cause, really, you've saved my bacon countless times (thanks for that by the way)...   And, well, it seems like I'm getting on in years and I was about to go see my lawyer to draw up my will tomorrow....  And, um, since you've not given my any kids, it looks like my butler is going to get everything...  And, um, well, is that what you meant about having descendants as numerous as the dust of the earth or did you mean something else?"

But, perhaps I'm not giving Abram enough credit.  Perhaps Abram's response is one of bewildered acceptance.  "Ok God, my reward will be great...  But the only thing left for you to give me is an heir.  I haven't seen that happen yet, and I would have expected that gift from you first, you know, when I was younger and could have kids..."

God responds in verses 4 through 5.  Notice that God is not harsh.  He does not belittle Abram or punish him.  He responds to Abram's earnestness by confirming His promise for a third time.  He tells Abram that he will have a son to carry on his name.  And, instead of just telling him that his descendants will be as numerous as dust (13:16), he uses the uncountable stars as a visual aid to SHOW Abram what he means.

But why?  Why act this way?  Why does God initiate a conversation instead of just addressing Abram's issues?  And why confirm the promise in a new way instead of just repeating it?  I think these questions rightly challenge our view of God as an imperious tyrant.  We would expect an imperious God to be more declarative and harsh.  To say, "Abram, you whining, faithless doubter, I promised a son and you'll get one.  Now, stop bugging me about it."  And we expect a tyrant God to strike Abram dead for asking questions.  But this is not the God Abram serves.  God initiates a conversation with Abram because He desires relationship.  And He knows Abram's need for comfort and reassurance on this issue (wouldn't we all after at least 10 years of waiting).



No comments:

Post a Comment