Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Fall: Genesis 3:1 - 13

My dad would read the creation story to my sister and me when we were young.  I always hated this part of the story because I didn't like tragic endings.  I’d rather my dad read a different Bible story because, let’s face it, this section of scripture doesn't show mankind at his best.  Thinking about it now, I realize how naive I was - the stories don’t really get any better, and selecting a story that shows man in a positive light would be difficult.  In the Bible, mankind has a bright light shown on him and we see him with all his blemishes, his bruises, and his defects.  Make no mistake, God is the only hero in the story.

We've already seen God as creator, provider, and nurturer in the first two chapters.  The scene is set with everything at peace, in its proper place.  But this is not how we experience the world.  Finally we find out why.

In 3:1 Eve is tempted with a question.  It starts with “Did God really say…”  I think there is an implied sense of shock with this statement.  It’s as though the real question is a statement such as: “Admit it, God keeps you in chains down here,” or perhaps, “Does God really keep you locked up down here with nothing to eat?”  In any case, the “question” isn't really a question at all.  The serpent probably isn't interested in the answer, but in the seed of doubt he is planting.  With that in mind, the intended statement is: “God isn't really being good to you”.*

Verses 3:4 and 3:5 follow with 2 outright lies.  I’ll rephrase them for emphasis.  3:4 – “God is lying to you, you won’t die” and 3:5 – “God is oppressing you by withholding something good from you.”
So Eve eats the fruit and so does her husband.  But, consider this question:  When did they sin?  I believe they sinned when they chose to trust the serpent instead of God and what he said.  Also, look closely at the end of 3:6.  Eve didn't have to go far to give Adam some fruit.  He was right there with her! (So, guys, stop being so self-righteous toward the gals) Presumably, Adam was watching and listening to the whole exchange and did nothing about it…  Except disobey in the exact same way Eve did.

This brings us to verses 3:8-13.  Or, as I like to call it, the “pass the blame” section.  Now that they've done something wrong their first instinct is to turn on each other and God (“the woman YOU put here with me” [my emphasis]).  So we see how their broken relationship with God has also driven a wedge of discord between them. 

In the next post, I’ll have a look at the fall out of this whole mess.


*Many people speculate about Eve’s response regarding touching the fruit.  Was she lying because God did not say that in Genesis 2:17?  Had Adam misinformed her?  Had the statement in 2:17 been a brief summary of what God really said?  I tend to think she might be lying (or been misinformed) simply because it is the act of eating that causes the problem (as seen in verses 3:6, 3:11, 3:12, and 3:13) and not the act of touching the fruit (or so it seems to me).  If this is true, this lie might indicate a seed of bitterness already growing in the hearts of the first couple.  I imagine the serpent being surprised to find that a seed had already put down roots and was sprouting.  How fortunate for him; he wouldn't even have to water or fertilize…

No comments:

Post a Comment